The Dakota City Advance was founded August 18, 1883, at a new town-site located some two and a half miles southeast of present day Parkston. Among its first editors was Charles Knight, who later invented the motor for the Willys-Knight Automobile.
Frank Simmons and John E. Hipple bought the Advance and moved it -- building and all -- to the new railroad town of Parkston. Hipple purchased full control of the renamed Parkston Advance and published the paper until he went to Pierre as State Auditor.
The Advance was subsequently owned and edited by J.W. Peckham, who purchased the paper in 1904 and published it until his death in 1939. During part of this time, Peckham served as a state senator. After his death, Mrs. Peckham published the paper for one year.
Marvin T. Gilbertson then bought the Advance from her and published his first issue in March, 1940. Gilbertson, who also served as a state senator, sold the Advance to Edward J. Ehler, on July 1, 1969. Gilbertson retired from active involvement when the newspaper changed to offset printing in 1971.
The Advance is currently published by Scott E. Ehler, son of Edward Ehler, and Elizabeth 'Sam' Grosz, managing editor. It is printed at a central plant in Armour, SD.
The Parkston Advance is a weekly newspaper devoted to the Parkston, South Dakota, community. The newspaper is mailed on Tuesdays to 1200 subscribers and is available on the newstands at Casey's General Store, Parkston Food Center, AMPRIDE, Neumayr Pharmacy, Statz Drug, Judes, and Balloons 'n More.
The Parkston Advance is a member of The South Dakota Newspaper Association and The National Newspaper Association. It is the legal newspaper for the City of Parkston, the Parkston School District No. 33-3, the Town of Dimock, and Hutchinson County.
(History provided by Bob Karolevitz, A Shirttale Full of Type).