The first issue of The Tripp Ledger was published on October 7, 1892, by T.K. Simpson, It was a small six-column, two-page home-print paper with a circulation of 225. It was taken over two months later by J.B. Stout and Thomas Case with Lewis A. Fox assuming ownership the following year.
On May 1, 1908, John H. Craig purchased the Ledger and published it until his death in 1949. He served the South Dakota Press Association as president in 1924-25 and for many years was its secretary before a full-time manager was employed. Craig's wife Mary, who worked closely with her husband throughout the years, continued to publish the paper until 1951 when she sold to Richard H. Young and H.L. Stovik. A year later, Edward J. Ehler and John E. German took it over until 1969 when it was acquired by George Cokens.
On February 1, 1981, the Ledger was then sold to Wayne Bertrand and Marvin Blaha of B and H Publishing, Inc., who combined it with the Tripp Star which had been established on August 15, 1980. The name was then changed to the Tripp Star-Ledger and employed David Lias as editor.
The newspaper again became the property of Edward J. Ehler in 1985. Today, the newspaper is published by Scott E. Ehler and is managed by editor Elizabeth 'Sam' Grosz.
The Tripp Star-Ledger is a weekly newspaper devoted to the Tripp, South Dakota, community. The newspaper is mailed on Tuesdays to 500 subscribers and is available on the newstand at Weber's Grocery and Hardware.
The Tripp Star-Ledger is a member of The South Dakota Newspaper Association and The National Newspaper Association. It is the legal newspaper for the City of Tripp, the Tripp School District No. 33-5, Hutchinson County, and the South Central Cooperative.
(History by Bob Karolevitz, With a Shirttale Full of Type).